Sunday, February 11, 2018

Withholding public information- who is receiving dental benefits from the district?



After seeing somewhat of a discrepancy with budget figures, I requested on September 12, 2017 to see who was receiving dental benefits from the district.



The image above is page 46 of 2017-2018 school budget:




Five months later, I still have not received that information.


The Board Attorney first said that my request was denied.  Later, she said she would look into the matter after I clearly explained I was not seeking anyone’s personal health information and that I had received this same information from other public agencies after submitting OPRA requests.


The residents of Lodi have the right to this public information.


In 2014, I requested this information from the Borough.  At the time, the Borough was paying the dental costs for a retiree that was not entitled.




The more access to public information, the better.  That is what keeps government honest.