Thursday, June 22, 2017

They changed their votes again….




During “new business”, I pointed out that Lodi made news again this week when it was ranked #7 for “towns where property taxes hurt the most.”  I informed the board that the only cities with worst rankings were places like Passaic, Paterson, East Orange, and Orange.


I told the board that they have to stop nonchalantly spending thousands of tax dollars on ethics complaints.  I asked them to explain why they abandoned their past practice of having the board vote before a claim is submitted.  I pointed out that they didn’t even inform the board.  I reminded them that they weren’t facing criminal charges or fines where they have to reach into their pockets.  I reminded them that Trustee Mastrofilipo told them before their votes on Carafa’s removal that tax dollars better not be spent on legal bills.  Nobody objected at the time.  I asked them why they couldn’t answer a simple complaint on their own and let the State make a decision as to whether their vote was ethical or not.


Jonathan Carafa and Mike Nardino went on and on about this blog.  I told them they were changing the subject and that we were talking about them wasting thousands of tax dollars needlessly.  Mike Nardino said that Joe Licata’s ethics complaint has been going for two years because of me.  I informed them that Joe Licata lost two decisions and cost Lodi thousands.  People shouldn’t be unethical.


I told them if they file an ethics complaint against me, I would never use tax dollars to answer the complaint or ask the board for an attorney.  That shows no regard for the taxpayers. 


Mike Nardino said that he tried to answer on his own but it was returned because he didn’t provide “proof of service”.  Dominic Miller said the same.  I don’t think they understood what “proof of service” meant.  I explained that all that had to do was send me a copy of their answer and then show the state that they provided me with a copy.  I told them that they don’t need to pay an attorney $5,000 to mail me a certified letter.  All they had to do was hand me a copy.  I would help them show “proof of service”.


Finally, I made the motion for the board to take a vote on submitting the claim to the insurance provider (a vote that should have already taken place).   I voted ‘No”.  Trustees Nardino, Carafa, and Miller voted “Yes”.  I was shocked.  I couldn’t believe they voted on a claim for themselves.  I explained to them that state ethics code prohibits them from voting on anything that directly affects themselves or immediate family members.  They should have abstained.


The three argued they were allowed to vote.  Minutes later, Miller changed his vote to abstain.  Carafa followed.  Next, Nardino.  Finally, Carbonetti changed his vote from “Yes” to abstain although he wasn’t part of the claim.


So the vote to submit their claim failed:  2- NO, 0-YES, 6-ABSTAIN.


If Miller, Nardino, and Carafa want to spend $5,000 to have an attorney mail me a copy of their answer, then let them use their own money.  Let them go to the taxpayers to explain why Lodi should be paying their legal bills for something so ridiculous.


Once again, when you are ranked #7 for “towns where property taxes hurt the most”, the last thing you should be doing is paying an attorney $5,000 to mail an answer to a simple ethics complaint.