Sunday, October 20, 2019

My Answers to the LEA Questionnaire for BOE Candidates...




Ryan Curioni, Candidate for Lodi Board of Education


1.      Tell us about yourself.  Who are you? What is your role in the community?

I am currently completing my first 3 year term on the Lodi Board of Education.  I am a lifelong resident of Lodi.  I graduated from Lodi High School in 1999 ranked #7 in my class.  I attended William Paterson University on a full academic scholarship where I attained a B.A. in Mathematics and Secondary Education.  After college, I was a public school Math teacher for five years.  I find my background in education to be very valuable in my role as member of the board of education. 

2.      What motivated you to seek a position on the Lodi Board of Education?

I was disgusted by the rampant corruption, nepotism, waste, and abuse that has consumed the district for too long.  I didn’t believe that when a business administrator retired after 38 years, he had the right to name his son as his successor when the position was never advertised and nobody else had a chance to compete.  I believed the idea of spending $8,000,000 (all Lodi tax dollars) on a new administration building for 22 employees was absurd.   I didn’t believe it was appropriate for a superintendent to promote immediate family members of board members when those board members were giving the superintendent $25,108 bonuses or a 20% raise.  I felt that 6% and 7% increases in school taxes in 2010 and 2011 were outrageous and unacceptable.  I felt that nj.com ranking Lodi #1 in New Jersey for towns with the worst school tax burden was unacceptable.  Too many politicians were enriching themselves at the expense of our students.  I wanted to see more money going into the classrooms and not into the pockets of politicians.  I wanted more accountability, transparency, and independence coming from the board.

3.      What is one idea you have for enhancing teacher morale?  How do you propose attracting and keeping excellent school employees in district?

         I believe that fair promotions and equal opportunities for all would enhance teacher morale.  All teachers should have the same opportunity for assignments such as elementary basic skills teacher.  Those positions should not only be reserved for board members’ children and in-laws, family members of politicians, councilwomen etc.  Stipend positions should not be gobbled up by LEA leaders when other teachers are not given a fair chance.  The best and brightest teachers should move up the ranks to supervisors and principals if that is the path that they choose.  Principal jobs should not be decided at birth.

         To attract and keep excellent teachers, I believe that starting teacher salaries and the lower steps on the LEA pay scale should be increased.  More assistance and support should be given to middle school and high school teachers to meet the district’s policy to make everyone pass.  If a teacher is working really hard and doing a great job, additional burdensome paperwork can be quite frustrating.  

To attract and keep excellent employees (all employees), I believe the district needs to do a better job in protecting employees from politics and harassment in the workplace.  If someone is doing their job, it must be a horrible feeling knowing that someone is watching them on camera all day just to get a gotcha moment.  I believe that all employees should be given due process because many have been targeted for politics.  I have witnessed many double standards while serving on the board. 

4.      What is your vision for the Lodi Public Schools?

I envision a district centered on the student and not the politician.  We should spend all our time focused on expanding student opportunities.  I would like to see a possible partnership with Bergen Community College where more students are given an opportunity to attain more college credits while in high school and to enroll in electives that really interest them. 

There is a high demand from Lodi parents to send their children to Bergen County Technical High School in Teterboro, the Charter School located at Mount Virgin, and others.  Our district should be asking parents what attracts them most to those options and then see if our district can deliver similar opportunities. 

I believe that parents/guardians do not have enough say in their children’s education.  I believe that all students should have the same opportunities despite their family’s income or status. 

5.      What do you think would be the ideal relationship between the Lodi Board of Education and the Lodi Education Association?

         I served on contract negotiations for Registered Nurses and Custodial/Maintenance.  I found the employees representing both units to be respectful and fair.  The representatives came with facts and had an honest discussion.  I felt that both sides were working together in a fair manner to benefit our schools.  I did not see any personal agenda from any of the representatives (where one group in the unit tried to benefit at the expense of another).  In fact, the reps appeared to care about all members of their respective units.

Unfortunately, some LEA leadership has not behaved in the same manner.  The current president of the LEA has clearly demonstrated that she cares more about politics than education.  She cares more about the interests of her family than the interests of the rank and file teachers.  She is heavily involved in the political campaign of her sister-in-law Nancy Cardone.  She has been heavily involved in every political campaign of Lodi’s corrupt political machine for decades.

Where other teacher unions fight for fair hiring practices, some LEA officers lashed out at me for saying that teacher positions should be advertised in newspapers and that nepotism is a problem.  Where other teacher unions speak out against excesses for administration, some LEA officers were fighting and cheering to get Frank Quatrone a 20% raise and almost $200,000 for sick days.

Unprovoked protests in front of board members’ homes, obnoxious behavior at board meetings, and constant negativity is not productive. 

Ideally, everyone should set aside their politics and focus on education.  Everyone should respect one another and appreciate different points of view.