Friday, January 11, 2019

"Wichita lawmaker asks superintendent to explain top-level salaries — including her own"


Link to article from the Wichita Eagle:




From the article:


“Could the superintendent educate us a little bit more about what the amount of those salaries are for the highest-ranking folks, like yourself . . . and why those salaries are as high as they appear to laypersons to be?” Carmichael said.

Thompson, who is in her second year at the helm of the state’s largest school district, makes $266,864 a year. In addition to her base salary, she receives a $780-a-month car and mileage allowance, $525 a month for “professional, civic and incidental expenses” and an annual contribution to her retirement, which brings her total financial package to $307,534 a year.


“What I can tell you, sir, is that my contract is negotiated with the Board of Education,” Thompson said. “That salary also is inclusive of retirement. When you see that large number, you dig inside of it, it’s not salary that I take home.”


“What would you consider to be your salary and what would you consider to be the value of your benefit package, so I can better make that distinction?” Carmichael countered.


“Sir, if you would like to visit with me privately or with my board, we would be happy to visit with you,” Thompson said. “But I am saying to you that my salary is commensurate to some of the other urban school districts in the country.”


“Is it a secret?” Carmichael said.