Sunday, February 17, 2019

Star-Ledger's Moran: Murphy’s romance with public workers could spell his doom on budget




Link to editorial on nj.com:




From the editorial:


“But the NJEA is a racket for its top brass. Its three senior officers earned an average of just under $500,000 each in 2017, according to the latest records available. Spending on the union’s bloated staff jumped 20 percent in the prior three years, setting a new record.

Almost all that money comes from squeezing teachers, who earn an average of $70,000 a year and pay just under $1,000 in union dues.

What would Cesar Chavez say if he went to an NJEA meeting and saw the leadership in their fine clothing, with their fine cars, enjoying a fine meal – courtesy of those classroom teachers?

I wanted to ask them, of course. But the NJEA hasn’t spoken to me since I wrote about Ed Richardson, the executive director, earning $1.2 million in 2015. That hit a nerve, it seems.”



Side note:  I was informed by a judge on Wednesday that NJEA leader Debra Kwapniewski and NJEA Attorney Gail Oxfeld brought a “whole slew of people” to a hearing in Newark where they continue to go after my free speech rights.  They have filed multiple complaints against me over the last two years seeking to prohibit me from posting any criticism of the NJEA on my personal blog.  Wednesday was a school day.  Debra Kwapniewski put her union interests before the interests of Lodi’s pre-k students.