Monday, October 28, 2013

My Complaint was a Distraction from the Real Issue at Hand. I Should Have Known Better.


When I first filed an OPRA denial of access complaint last March, attorneys as far away as Ocean County sent me letters seeking to take this case (no charge) before the Superior Court.  They argued against the Government Records Council (GRC). They stated that the Superior Court acted in a timelier manner and the results were more favorable for those seeking transparency in government.  I did not want to tie up a court with this issue so I just e-mailed a complaint to the GRC and decided the complaint would end there.

After reading Alan Spiniello’s response to the GRC, I saw where he was going.  In response, I requested a specific property card belonging to an immediate family member of Lodi’s Tax Appeal Attorney, Marcel Wurms, to shoot down the claim that a specific card could provide the information I was seeking.  I knew the taxes on the property were reduced “in house” before I even requested the card.  The specific card showed a $34,000 assessment reduction (over a $1000 tax savings) without stating how.  After I received the specific tax card (and already knowing the answers to my own questions), this administration still wouldn’t explain the process in which the reduction occurred until months later.  I sent this information to the case manager last week.  He never responded or even acknowledged it.  Because of that, the GRC decision for tomorrow was expected:

 45. Ryan Curioni v. Borough of Lodi (Bergen) (2013-81)

Since the Complainant’s OPRA request is for information and not a specific identifiable record, and because a custodian is not required to conduct research in response to an OPRA request, the Complainant’s OPRA request is invalid.

If George Reggo kept records, "research" would not be necessary.  The GRC rewarded him for not keeping records. His monetary transactions are larger than those that take place in banks.  Yet, the Lodi politicians require no monthly lists or receipts from him. 

The Bergen County Tax Board has to keep a list of all decisions before the board.  The State Tax Court has to keep a list of all judgments before the court.  George Reggo doesn’t have to keep any lists for his reductions.  This lack of oversight can open the door to unethical or even criminal behavior.  A hypothetical:  what if someone offered him $500 to lower their taxes $1000.  He wouldn’t have to answer to anyone. 

The truth of the matter is I no longer need the information I requested.  I conducted my own research and have my own list of “in house” reductions for the politically connected.  I like some of the people that benefitted from the Reggo reductions so I do not want to make this issue about them.

The issue is about George Reggo, Marcel Wurms, Tony Luna, and others that used their influence to lower the taxes for family and friends “in house”.  They took off thousands of dollars for some while passing that added cost onto the honest, hard-working taxpayers of Lodi.   My own complaint actually distracted from the bigger issue at hand.  The OPRA denial itself was trivial in comparison to George Reggo’s actual tax fixing.

These individuals never had to answer for their behavior when questioned at council meetings or when responding to OPRA requests.  All I was seeking was some form of accountability. 

I realized last August that I should not depend on the State for anything.  At that time, I had four different e-mails from the State all listing a completely different reason why Marc Schrieks was able to collect full health benefits paid for by the taxpayers of Lodi when he was not enrolled or eligible on the date required to be “grand-fathered in”.  The State actually had to correct its own responses when questioned each time.

I learned my lesson moving forward.  True accountability will come from the people once they are informed and not from any government bureaucracy above Lodi.