Sunday, May 28, 2017

“In a free society, there should be no forced associations.”


Over the past few weeks, I received countless complaints from Lodi parents.  They are disgusted that their children are receiving less this year because the teachers’ union wants to send a message: children will suffer if the BOE doesn’t give in to every single demand during contract negotiations.  The parents aren’t paying less in taxes.  But their children are getting less.  Teachers aren't being paid less, but many are doing less.


I also saw LEA leadership behave like complete animals before and during the Wednesday board meeting (why meetings must be broadcast) .


I saw their behavior and asked:  I have to kiss up to them?  I have to fear them?  I was elected to represent Lodi and will speak out when something is wrong.


I know that their behavior is not representative of the majority of teachers.


This is why I don’t believe in forced associations.  I have been consistent on this issue.  Here is a letter to the editor from 2012:



The Record: Letters, Dec. 16, 2012

Politics and money are at the center of the "right-to-work" battles in the news. In a free society, there should be no forced associations.

When I was a member of a public union, I felt very uncomfortable knowing that my earned money was going to the campaigns of candidates like Jon Corzine and Barack Obama because they did not represent my values. I also felt very uncomfortable when my dues were spent on causes I did not support, causes such as paying for buses to a pro-abortion rally in Trenton and lobbying against school choice.

Right-to-work laws rightly will reduce the amount of union dues going to political candidates and causes. If unions want to retain strong membership, freedom and choice of association will force them to better represent workers. Workers should have more say, and the union bosses, living lavishly off the backs of those they pretend to represent, should have less.

Ryan Curioni

Lodi, Dec. 13