Tuesday, January 17, 2017

Tonight’s council meeting…how about that Licata promotion?





I asked the following questions word for word:


In 2012, some of you created a building and grounds department.  It was obvious to me that you were doing so to benefit Councilwoman Licata’s son.  At the time, I specifically asked Mrs. Licata if any of her family members would benefit financially from the ordinance.  She laughed and said “No”.  Mrs. Licata’s son was the first person placed in the department.  Four years later, you made him a supervisor.  In 2016, his salary went from $47,000 to over $74,000.


Can you please explain the promotion process used for the Councilwoman’s son?  Did you advertise the position?  Did you interview people?  Did you follow civil service guidelines?  Did you give DPW employees with more experience and seniority an opportunity to apply?


Why was Councilwoman Licata so dishonest when she laughed and said her son wouldn’t benefit from the building and grounds ordinance?


Their response:


While I was asking the question, Councilwoman Licata and Mayor Carafa were whispering to Alan Spiniello (part-time borough attorney @ $210,000 a year).


Alan Spiniello told me that I had to submit the questions in writing and they would get back to me.


Emil Carafa said they weren’t there in 2012.  I pointed out that CW Licata, DM Cima, and Mr. Spiniello were there so one of them should answer.  Alan Spiniello wouldn’t allow Patty Licata to answer.  I reminded Mr. Spiniello that he was part of the conversation in 2012 and he stated that the ordinance was not intended to benefit the councilwoman’s son.


Emil Carafa tried to blame Bruce Masopust for the promotion and pretended he had no knowledge of the promotion process.


I pointed out that the Borough Manager works on behalf of the mayor and council.  It is unbelievable that the mayor and council would not know how the councilwoman’s son’s salary went from $47,000 to over $74,000 just a few months ago.  I said that I am sure people have asked them about it over the last few months.


Emil Carafa spent most of my five minutes saying that he doesn’t want me to cloud the situation by saying that the mayor and council hire and promote.  He went on to defend nepotism and said something like it takes place all over (pointed to mayors hanging up on the walls) and then mentioned Rochelle Park (why Rochelle Park?).


My five minutes were spent by them dancing around the issue.  Their non-answer was a clear answer.