Sunday, December 22, 2019

Another Round: "Exceptions" Submitted to the Commissioner of Education...

Dr. Lamont O. Repollet:

          Before I begin with my “Exceptions” to the recommended sanctions, I would like to note that I fully dispute the Commission’s findings of any violations pertaining to my blog posts about NJEA corruption and the disgraceful behavior of NJEA leaders.  I am a “pro se” Respondent that chose not to use public funds (Lodi tax dollars) to defend my basic right to “free speech”.  My term on the Lodi Board of Education expires at the end of this month.  I chose to submit “Exceptions” at this point instead of a full drawn out appeal to save the Lodi taxpayers money.  I have already answered the complaint multiple times.  I have already submitted stacks of evidence.  None of that was considered by ALJ Elissa Mizzone Testa or the SEC in its final decision dated December 17, 2019.

Exceptions

1.     I provided my initial answer and evidence to the SEC on August 6, 2017.  After reviewing my answer and evidence, the SEC did NOT find probable cause to credit the allegations that I violated any of the provisions of the code of ethics for board members.  My initial answer is included in this link: http://lodioverhaul.blogspot.com/2017/08/answer-to-debra-kwapniewskis-frivolous.html

2.    I provided another answer and more evidence to ALJ Michael Antoniewicz on June 10, 2018.  After reviewing my answer and evidence, Judge Antoniewicz denied Complainant Debra Kwapniewski’s motion.  My June 2018 Certification is included in this link: http://lodioverhaul.blogspot.com/2019/11/june-2018-certification.html

3.    On February 13, 2019 ALJ Elissa Mizzone Testa clearly stated via telephone during the hearing that she would not consider any of my answers or evidence submitted.  Instead she would make a decision based solely on the hearing that day.

4.    The hearing on February 13, 2019 was based on a false premise.  ALJ Testa’s chambers informed me that the hearing was taking place because the SEC found probable cause that I violated five provisions of the code.  I asked that the record be corrected before we proceeded.  ALJ Testa and her chambers refused to correct the record.

5.    Being the SEC did NOT find probable cause to credit the allegations against me, Complainant Debra Kwapniewski and NJEA Attorney Gail Oxfeld-Kanef carried the full burden to prove that I violated the code of ethics.  Disregarding the rules, ALJ Testa accepted blatantly false allegations and hearsay from Debra Kwapniewski at the hearing as fact and refused to acknowledge any of my answers or evidence previously submitted.  Factual evidence existed at the time that disproved ALJ Testa’s conclusions.

6.    I clearly demonstrated in my answers that my blog posts are accurate.  The salary I listed for Debra Kwapniewski was taken directly from the 2016-2017 school budget which is a public document.  A review of my blog will show that multiple posts before and after the post in question explain that Debra Kwapniewski was working under an expired contract for almost two years and the salary listed was her projected salary appearing in the budget.  Debra Kwapniewski received retro pay once a new contract was approved.  Her retro pay significantly increased her salary beyond the figure used by ALJ Testa.

7.    A review of my blog posts will show that ALJ Testa grossly exaggerated and misrepresented what actually appeared in the posts.  I NEVER showed a picture of Kwapniewski’s house nor did I even mention her name in that post. 

8.    My posts about NJEA leader Debra Kwapniewski were in response to an onslaught of personal attacks, harassment, intimidation, and bullying against me by Debra Kwapniewski and the NJEA.  That harassment was documented in my previously submitted answers.
 
9.    In accepting some of ALJ Testa’s conclusions and proposed sanctions, the SEC completely contradicts its own decision dated August 30, 2019.  In that decision, the SEC clearly states that ALJ Testa’s initial decision does not cite, explain, or demonstrate with factual evidence that I violated any of the provisions.  The SEC also asked that ALJ Testa provide an analysis of my “free speech” rights and listed items to address.  After remand, ALJ Testa submitted a second initial decision almost identical to the first.  She didn’t even bother to correct the first sentence of her decision in which the SEC had informed her wasn’t true.  She did not adequately analyze my “free speech” rights.  She didn’t include any new facts to support her conclusions.  Yet, the SEC did a complete reversal from its August 30, 2019 decision to its December 17, 2019 decision.  Why?

10.  This complaint was filed against me by NJEA Attorney Gail Oxfeld-Kanef.  This complaint was funded by the NJEA using teacher union dues.  The NJEA was unsuccessful with multiple other complaints against my blog including a PERC complaint.  Please notice how the complaint and discussion during ALJ’s Testa’s hearing changed and evolved from what was initially submitted by the NJEA in the summer of 2017.  As the NJEA was unsuccessful in other arenas, its allegations became more outrageous and far-fetched.  ALJ Testa never referred to the initial complaint or stayed within its boundaries.

11.   My blog is very critical of the NJEA.  The NJEA endorsed and funded a slate of candidates running against me.  The NJEA’s involvement included a campaign contribution appearing on the ELEC site of at least $4,000, mailers, robocalls, teacher luncheons leading up Election Day, a formal endorsement, etc. 

12.  My term expires at the end of this month so a recommended suspension for exercising my free speech rights on a personal blog will not impact me.  I am submitting these Exceptions because ALJ Testa’s abuses will impact others in the future.  Her actions amount to an assault on “free speech” and on our democratic process. 

13.   ALJ Testa’s decision sends a message to the residents of New Jersey that the NJEA can be in the only voice in any conversation.  The NJEA can be vicious.  It can be vile.  Its leaders can relentlessly attack board members that act as reformers and expose corruption.  ALJ Testa is sending a message that board members relinquish their free speech rights once they join a board and they cannot comment on the NJEA’s actions as private citizens.

14.   ALJ Testa believes that she can undo our democratic process.  If someone is elected by the voters and the NJEA does not approve of their speech, ALJ Testa is a sending a message that the NJEA can have that person removed or suspended simply by having a short hearing in Newark where all evidence is excluded. 

15.  This decision shows that the SEC has different standards for different people and no consistency.  A thorough review of School Ethics Decisions show that board members committing criminal acts are not recommended for suspension.  The SEC looks for reasons to have their cases dismissed.  Board members across New Jersey are taking bribes.  They are using their positions to put unqualified relatives in six figure positions.  They set up fake businesses and nonprofits so family and friends can get contracts from their districts.  They are not recommended for suspensions.  Yet, I violated the ethics code by exposing corruption on my personal blog? That’s outrageous.

16.   ALJ Testa could not cite one case for the basis of her decision in that any provisions were violated with my blog posts.  She can’t cite any case similar to it in any manner.  She can’t cite any case for the basis of her recommended suspension.  In fact, her recommendation came directly from NJEA Attorney Gail Oxfeld-Kanef.  Please refer to my “Exceptions” submitted on July 7, 2019.

17.  The public can see my blog posts.  The public can the SEC decisions listed on-line.  The public can see that something is wrong here.  The NJEA is labeled the most powerful special interest group in New Jersey because of the millions it spends each year buying off public officials and paying lobbyists.  The NJEA should not be allowed to influence or buy any SEC decisions. 


Sincerely,


Ryan Curioni